Thursday, May 1, 2014

Post 12: Confidentiality...what's that?

About a week later, it was time to fill my prescription. I dropped off the script at our local walmart pharmacy, and after waiting 30 minutes, decided I would pick it up later that day. When I returned to the pharmacy, the pharmacy technician said that I had to have a consultation with the pharmacist before she could give me my prescription. I'm not sure if your familiar with walmart pharmacy's consultation area, but it's a window where the pharmacist loudly tells you about your medicine. When you live in a small town, the consultation goes as follows:

Pharmacist: "You're a Hudson aren't you?"
Me: "Yes, I was a Hudson until I got married."
Pharmacist: "You're not old enough to be married."
Me: "I'm 26."
Pharmacist: "Oh! How long have you been married."
Me: "Almost 4 years."
Pharmacist: "And you're trying to have a baby!"
Me: "That's the plan."
Pharmacist: "Well, I want to make sure that you understand the prescription I'm about to give you. You take one pill a day, starting on day 3 of your cycle. Day 3 of your cycle means that it's the third day of your period. You'll take one pill from day 3-7, then on day 21 of your cycle, you need to have blood work to check your progesterone levels."
Me: "Yep. My doctor explained the steps really well."
Pharmacist: "Ok, Mrs. Noonan, here's your prescription for clomid, good luck with making a baby!"

I paid my $4 for the prescription, and walked away slyly, trying to see if anyone was around. Luckily, it wasn't a busy day at the pharmacy, so no one was there to start the small town rumor mill! Crisis averted!

No comments:

Post a Comment