Sunday, November 9, 2014

Post 43: Flashbacks

So I've discussed it with my friends, but never really on my blog or with my family. As a child, I always played with dolls. Plural. Dolls. I would carry around an armful of babies, all the time. Also, I've always expected myself to have multiples. So this reality of IVF, and the significant increase in the chance of multiples, almost feels like we've come full circle. 

One of the oddest things is that I have vivid memories of a movie from when I was a child. I don't remember the full plot, but I clearly remember that it was about infertility, and the couple went through a procedure where the woman's legs were up in the air, and there were big needles involved! Well, low and behold, I believe I found the movie today, and it gets a little crazier! The movie was, "Maybe Baby," staring Hugh Laurie.  

I've been trying to find this movie for quite a while, to see if it really did exist. To make it more ironic, the couple in the movie suffers from the same diagnosis that we have, which is unexplained infertility. Also, the wife writes about her journey, just as I am. Furthermore, the name of the movie is also the name of my blog...Maybe Baby. I couldn't have planned it even if I tried.

It could all just be coincidence, but I really find it odd that this movie stuck out to me for so many years. I'm expecting that I saw this originally when I was in middle school. I had mono, and was on home bound for three months. I watched a lot of lifetime movies at the time, and the movie was released around the same time. So maybe it is just a random moment in my life that I remember, or maybe I've been preparing for this all along, which explains why I haven't had any major breakdowns since we started this process. Hopefully, our first IVF cycle will be successful, and my blog can turn to parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment