Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Post 1: Boy + Girl = Baby...Nope

To anyone who told me that if I had sex, I would get pregnant, I'd like to tell you that you're wrong. After almost two years of peeing on ovulation sticks, timing sex, and using no protection, I am still not pregnant. My name is Emily, and I am the healthiest, most normal, infertile person around. When my husband and I decided to start trying to conceive, we were terrified that we would end up with a baby. Little did I know that it's just not that easy for everyone. Sure, if you're 15 and lose your virginity under the bleachers at homecoming, you're going to get pregnant. However, if you wait for sex until marriage, read all of the "What to expect before your expecting" books, and change your diet, all you end up with is caffeine withdraw, and a desire to discredit a mass number of authors.

As I struggle with infertility, I wanted to have a place to keep up with my thoughts, emotions,  hormone changes, etc., so that when I finally (hopefully) one day push out a baby or two, I can share with them why they are the most loved child/children in the world. This blog is my place to confide, vent, and keep memories, both good and bad.

My infertility journey started in 2012. My husband, Shaun, and I did not need to discuss "if" we were going to have children - the only concern was "when" we were going to have children. We were born to be parents, and are the coolest aunt and uncle, at least according to our seven nieces and nephews - we buy the good toys for Christmas. I started tracking ovulation using ovulation predictor kits (OPK) on our second wedding anniversary, in May 2012, and we casually started talking about "trying" to have a baby. In October 2012, my mom was given a rather discouraging diagnosis of a rare form of dementia, which affects short-term memory. She was diagnosed on her birthday, I cried the entire way from my sisters house, where she broke the news, home, and that night we decided that we were going to have a baby, and soon.

For the first few months, we were both hopeful and relaxed. From all of the books that I'd read, I knew that it could take two perfectly healthy individuals up to a year to conceive naturally. I had the standpoint that if we got pregnant, great, if not, we were still normal.  As the one year mark was quickly approaching, I began to get nervous. Maybe we weren't "normal" after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment