Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Post 2: Thanksgiving dinner with my doctor

The only thing more awkward than going to a male OBGYN, is going to a male OBGYN who you've known your entire life. I'd been to a few different, local doctors for regular check-ups, and had always decided against seeing David (Dr. R) because I expected it to be awkward. However, when we hit the one year mark of trying to conceive, I knew that I wanted to see a doctor who would do everything in his power to help me have a baby. I have to say that out of the handful of doctors I've been to for my regular check-ups, my first appointment with David was the least awkward. Yes, it's strange to talk about your sex life with the person who gave you the sex talk, but there's a level of comfort that I wasn't expecting. It's also odd to pass along an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner after being examined. It's like saying, "how's my vagina, would your family prefer turkey or pasta?" We decided on pasta.

We saw David for the first time in October 2013, and I could not be happier with our decision. I explained that we'd been trying for a little more than a year, that I'd been tracking my cycles, and that it obviously had to be Shaun's fault that we weren't getting pregnant. David laughed, and said that we would start out with testing for both of us, wait for the results, and then come up with a plan. We left his office with a list of blood work, an ultrasound appointment, and a semen analysis test kit. He also told us we had "homework" to do, and that we should "get busy!" After a year of waiting, we had a plan, and we were going to get answers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment