Thursday, April 17, 2014

Post 6: HSG...OMG

Since Shaun and I were both "normal," according to every test we'd taken, it was time to move on to more invasive tests. In early December 2013 I got to have my first, and hopefully only, Hysterosalpingogram, or HSG for short. An HSG is an x-ray of you inner lady parts. Dye is injected through a catheter, and watched to see if it flows freely, or if there is a blockage. Essentially, an HSG cleans out your pipes so that sperm and egg can meet and travel easier. 

The day of the test, I was a nervous wreck. I was scared of the pain that I'd read could accompany the procedure, nervous of the results, and anxious to have it over with. I arrived at the hospital 30 minutes before the HSG as instructed, filled out all of the paperwork, got half naked and put on my gowns, and sat in the waiting room with my husband reading a classic 1996 Highlights magazine! Finally, the nurse came in to tell me it was time to start the procedure prep. 

As nervous as I was, I knew there was no escape, and that the test meant we were one step closer to our goal of becomig parents. I followed the nurse into the x-Ray room, where she laid a pillow on a large, cold slab for me to lay on. The nurse said she'd never worked with David before, but that she knew the procedure extremely well. I was prepped and ready to go, when the nurse came in and said that David had been called into an emergency surgery, and that I would have to wait an unknown length of time until he was available. If my nerves weren't already bad enough, I then had over an hour wait to think about what each instrument laying next to me would be used for. 

When David finally arrived, I was instantly calmed. The familiarity and the reassurance of knowing I was in good hands were my Xanax. The HSG was not as bad as I was expecting - the catheter slid in easily, and initially, I felt very little pain. However, when they dye started to be pushed through, it was like someone grabbed my ovaries and squeezed as hard as they could. Within ten minutes, the HSG was complete. 

Though I had the option to watch the screen and see the whole procedure, I decided that listening to the doctor lingo and saying my ABCs backwards was a better way to pass the time. Once the procedure was over, I cleaned myself up while David went to talk to the family of the woman who he'd operated on while I waited. When he returned, it was time to review my results. As I looked at the x-Ray, David explained that everything looked good, and that he was hopeful things would happen quickly. I had complete "spillage" on both sides - my tubes were open! About 10 seconds after his explanation, I told him I was going to sit down or black out. Though David blamed it on my anxiety disorder (we'll get to that later), I still believe that it was due to the severe cramping that began after the HSG. I have never had cramps as bad as I did that day. The nurse was in a panic that I reacted so oddly, but David reassured her that he knew me, and that I'd be ok! Once my world stopped spinning, I was wheelchaired to my car, and Shaun drove us home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment