Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Post 100: Unstable

The ER was so full, that they took my vitals behind a curtain in the waiting room. The nursing supervisor was in charge of my check-in, and immediately realized something was very wrong, and continually apologized for the wait being so long. She asked general questions about pain levels, allergies, symptoms, etc. Then she took my vitals. My pulse was ok, but my temperature was low, and my blood pressure was 99/57. She said based on my stats, I was unstable, and would be sticking around for a while.

I got moved into a room, right next to the nurses station. They were so full that is didn’t get a private room, I got a curtain area, so I got to hear everything that was happening all evening. From the very sick grandma wailing like a ghost, to the drunk man who was being chased by something, to the other grandma with a broken left hip, yet they kept x-raying the right one. It was a rough, busy night. 

I had a male nurse all evening, and he came in to start an IV, and check my vitals again. Then the phlebotomist came to visit, tested my blood for every single thing they could think of, asked for a urine sample, and finally let me rest. I explained that my urine test would come back positive for pregnancy, but that it was from my trigger shot for IVF. Once they realized I wasn’t just looking for drugs, they called Dr. Patel, realized that I really wasn’t pregnant, and agreed I could have morphine. My nurse game me zofran and morphine, and I told him he was my favorite person. It kicked in instantaneously. My world started spinning, everything was carefree, but the pain was still there. In full force. We continued to wait and see if it got any better, and when it didn’t, they decided I needed more testing. An ultrasound tech came in, and said she was going to take me to a different room for the exam. When I asked her what type of ultrasound she would be doing, she said pelvic. I refused treatment. I’d just had the retrieval surgery, and was told nothing in the vagina for 5 days minimum. Dr. Patel also told the tech that a pelvic ultrasound wasn’t necessary, since it wouldn’t show anything other than swollen ovaries. They ageeed that instead, I needed a CT scan with contrast to get a better view. 

The CT was weird. I’d had the HSG with contrast, but never a CT. The radiologist said that once she started the dye, I would feel warm, and like I was going to pee on myself. That’s exactly what happened. Oddest feeling ever! After the exam, they wheeled me back to my curtain area, and we got to wait. Again. 

Around 3AM, they got my results back. I had a pool of blood under my liver, which was causing all the pain, and a reputed ovarian cyst. They gave me another dose of morphine, and continued to monitor me while deciding on a plan of action. Throughout the entire evening, my blood pressure continued to slowly drop. They’d given me 2-3 bags of fluids, and I’d been peeing like crazy. Shaun was asleep, but I was going to burst if I didn’t make it to the restroom soon. We walked down the hallway, and the bathroom was disgusting. Drunk guy had peed all over the toilet, floor, walls, everything. I had to pee though. It wasn’t an option, so I picked up my gown, squatted and hoped for the best. I started feeling light headed before the trip to the bathroom, but squatting must have pushed me over the edge. My world started spinning, and I told Shaun I had to sit down. There is a waiting area by the restrooms, so I didn’t have far to go. 

Once I sat down, I started sweating, my world was spinning, and I thought I was going to hurl. My nurse found me quickly, and Shaun explained what was going on. They decided the best thing to do was to get me back in bed. A minute later, a wheelchair arrived, but I was so weak that I couldn’t stand on my own. Shaun and my nurse lifted me into the chair, then lifted me back into my bed. When they got the monitors back on me, my blood pressure had dropped to 86/51, and my heart rate was 47. I was close to coma levels. All I remember hearing was that they were going to release me, but decided I needed to spend the night. They’d used smelling salts on me 3-4 times, and my stats just kept dropping. The doctor in the ER, and Dr. Patel, decided a night of observation would be the best plan. 

They admitted me to the maternity floor. Around 4AM, under Dr. Mullins’ care - the on call OBGYN. I got a private room in labor and delivery, with a bed for me, and two hard wooden chairs for Shaun. Funny, considering I was there for infertility. I was sick as a dog at this point, and spent a good amount of time stuck to a barf bag. I asked for zofran, and the nurses said they didn’t have orders for it, so they just brought me diet ginger ale, saltines, and a barf bucket. 

At 5AM, they came in to check vitals. They asked if I needed anything, and Shaun asked for a pillow and blanket. They brought him a recliner, and bedding, and he was finally able to rest. At 8AM, they came in to help me get to the bathroom. I asked if I was able to get breakfast, since I’d only had one meal in three days, and I was told no. That until they’d cleared me through blood work, I wasn’t able to eat or drink. Shaun ran out to get himself breakfast, and to pick up my medrol, aspirin, cell phone charger, and change of clothes. 

Shaun stopped back by to check on me, then headed to work. My nurse returned for blood work around 10:30AM, and said that if it was normal, they’d bring me a lunch tray, and after I ate and kept the food down, I’d be released. Since Shaun had already left for work, and I wasn’t able to drive, I was left to find a way home. I called my parents, but they had a lunch meeting and were stuck. Next, I sent Randi a message. She was in town, and said she’d be there! Yay! Dr. Mullins came in to talk with me, and said everything looked good, my ovaries were hyperstimulate, but that was to be expected, and the blood would absorb within a few days. He finally wrote me a prescription for Percocet, and said I’d be released unless my blood counts were abnormal. It was just a waiting game. 

At almost 12PM on the dot, they brought me food. I’ve never been so happy to eat. I inhaled my hamburger and fries. The nurse came in to remove my IV, and there was one bite left on my plate. She tried to move it away from me, but if looks could have killed, she’d have been long gone. She moved her hand away quickly, and went back to removing the IV, while I finished my last bite. I went to the bathroom one last time - they’d given me five units of fluid by then - got dressed, and sent Randi a message, letting her know I’d been released. 

The nurse wheeled me to the front door, and Randi was my saving grace. I was finally free! Being a genius, Randi asked if they’d given me prescriptions, and if I needed to fill them. That hadn’t even registered with me. Haha! I just wanted to get out of the hospital, and home to my bed. We stopped at CVS, got my medicine, and headed home. She dropped me off, and Courtney and Stephanie were waiting on me. They helped get me into bed, take my medications, and entertained Julie so I could get some rest. I slept all afternoon. Percocet is amazing, and my pain was finally under control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment